Good morning, Ohio State fans, and welcome to the Scarlet Sunrise! Football will always be our focus, but every day we’ll cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Tate Martell speaks
God bless Tate Martell. He makes me wish I were still on the beat in Columbus instead of toiling away in law school, because anytime he speaks it’s absolute gold. As Doug Lesmerises of Cleveland.com put it, he’s the rare athlete whose interviews end up better than your wildest dreams. So with that being said, here’s a look at everything Martell said on Sunday during Rose Bowl media day.
- “Why would I leave for someone who hasn’t put a single second into this program yet? I’ve put two years of working my ass off for something that I’ve been waiting for and dreaming of having my whole life.”
- “I think [the transfer rumors] are because everybody has seen what I accomplished in high school and figured that I would want to get on the field, which I do. There’s no doubt I want to get on the field. But all that stuff is in the past. I want to play for Ohio State. It’s been my dream since I was born to play for Ohio State, and I’m not just going to walk away from something that I’ve put so much time into and there’s not a chance that I won’t go out there and compete and fight for my job.”
- “I have no doubt I’ll win the job. I’m 100-percent sure on that.”
- “At the end of the day, the reason I’ve never left this school after everything I’ve done and all the time I’ve put in is because I love my teammates. I’m going to be honest, that’s the only thing that’s really kept me here at this point. I love my boys, all the guys in my class, I’d do anything for them. They know that, the whole team knows that. Because there are a ton of other schools I could be starting for right now. Look at what Joe [Burrow] did. … It’s kind of crazy — it shows what we had and still have in our quarterback room.”
- “Whoever is going to come in, we’re going to need to grab somebody regardless. I mean, right now it’s me, Matthew Baldwin and [Chris Chugunov] — who knows how the quarterback room is going to play out, but you have to have four quarterbacks as it is. Somebody has to come in.”
- “It’s going to take a while to learn the offense. I’m just telling you, it’s not easy. It doesn’t matter where you came from or what you’ve done. Coach [Ryan] Day brings an NFL-type of playbook to our offense, and it’s difficult. It’s not going to be something that you can just walk in and three months in during spring ball you think you’re rolling. It’s not that easy, I promise you.”
Media day observations
Lettermen Row senior writer Austin Ward put together a list of observations from the massive interview sessions at media day and it’s a must-read as the Rose Bowl gets closer.
Photos, video from media day
The Lettermen Row crew was out in full force at the Rose Bowl. Our media day roundup post includes a photo gallery from Birm as well as 13 videos of different Ohio State coaches and players speaking at media day, so be sure to check that out.
WATCH: Urban Meyer media day interview
How to watch the Rose Bowl
If you need a reminder, we’ve got you covered.
Time: 5 p.m. ET
Date: Tuesday, January 1
Location: Rose Bowl Stadium, Pasadena, California
Weather: High of 59 degrees with 0 percent chance of rain
The line: Ohio State is a 6.5-point favorite, per The Action Network
Over/under: 57.5 points
- Rose Bowl: 1 day
Sign up for the Scarlet Sunrise newsletter
If you enjoy the Scarlet Sunrise posts, please consider having our newsletter delivered to your inbox every weekday morning. Click here to sign up!