Good morning, Ohio State fans, and welcome to the Scarlet Sunrise. Football will always be our focus, but every day we’ll cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Ohio State-Michigan State game time, details
Ohio State leads the all-time series against Michigan State 32-15 and has won three straight. This week is Homecoming for Ohio State; the Buckeyes are 72-19-5 in Homecoming Games. Ohio State is 15-5 in home night games.
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: Saturday, Oct. 5
Location: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
Weather: 69 degrees with a 0 percent chance of rain
The line: The Buckeyes are a 21.5-point favorite, per BetDSI
Over/under: 49.5 points
Tyreke Smith, Branden Bowen back in Ohio State lineup
After missing last week’s game against Nebraska, both Tyreke Smith and Branden Bowen will be back in the lineup for the Buckeyes against Michigan State.
The Buckeyes will be at full strength along the offensive line, but they can’t seem to get healthy in the defensive front. Tyler Friday is a game-time decision, while Teradja Mitchell will miss his second consecutive game. Taron Vincent has been out for every game this season.
Senior captain wide receiver C.J. Saunders is a game-time decision; he hasn’t played yet this season.
Here’s the full availability report as announced on Friday by the program, making note that Ohio State doesn’t differentiate between injuries or disciplinary matters:
TE Rashod Berry
DE Tyler Friday
H-B C.J. Saunders
WR Kamryn Babb
DT Noah Donald
WR Elijah Gardiner
DB Ronnie Hickman
LB Teradja Mitchell
DT Taron Vincent
Bold predictions for Ohio State primetime matchup against Michigan State
What can be expected of the Buckeyes as they come back home for their first ranked opponent of the season? Who will make a difference in the annual Homecoming Game for Ohio State? The Lettermen Row staff passed out five bold predictions ahead of the primetime tilt with the Spartans. Here’s what our staff predicted to see.
Miss any of our coverage so far this week?
- Five questions for Buckeyes ahead of physical Michigan State test
- Comfort, command improving for Justin Fields every week
- Lettermen Live: Analyzing Ohio State dominance, previewing Michigan State
- Tim May Podcast: Ohio State firing on all cylinders ahead of visit from Michigan State
- BuckIQ: Aggressiveness, cohesion fuel Ohio State defensive resurgence
- Measuring sticks for prolific Ohio State offense have arrived
- What We Learned as Ryan Day, Buckeyes gear up for Michigan State
- BuckIQ: Garrett Wilson already living up to five-star hype
- Nasty, physical approach from offensive line driving Buckeyes offense
- Tight coaching bond between Jeff Hafley, Ryan Day clicks for Buckeyes
- Jonathon Cooper battles through setback, boosts Buckeyes in return
- BuckIQ: Scorching start building Heisman buzz for Justin Fields
- Value of Justin Fields rushing ability goes up against tougher defenses
- Jeff Okudah unlocking potential, opening door for interceptions
- Alternate jerseys don’t matter unless level of play, atmosphere also attractive
- Talented Ohio State defensive line will give Michigan State fits
Stick with Lettermen Row for game day coverage
Lettermen Row will be on site in Columbus for wall-to-wall coverage of the top-25 matchup between the Buckeyes and the Spartans. Follow along on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for experienced Ohio State coverage.
Buckeyes land four-star defensive lineman
Jacolbe Cowan, a four-star defensive lineman from North Carolina, chose the Buckeyes over Georgia and others on Friday night. Cowan, the country’s 15th ranked defensive tackle according to 247sports composite rankings, gives the Buckeyes a versatile member of the 2020 class, which is on pace to be a top-five class in America.
Lettermen Row recruiting expert Birm will have the latest from Cowan and the Buckeyes as they finish the 2020 class in the coming months.
Sign up for the Scarlet Sunrise newsletter
If you enjoy the Scarlet Sunrise posts, please consider having our newsletter delivered to your inbox every weekday morning. Click here to sign up!