COLUMBUS — The Game has finally arrived, two weeks later than normal: Ohio State is scheduled to host hated rival Michigan on Saturday inside Ohio Stadium.
That’s the plan, anyway. While the Buckeyes were able to get their COVID-19 situation under control in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center and play Saturday after just one week away, the Wolverines are still in the middle of a shutdown and a cancelled game of their own after positive cases.
If the programs are cleared to meet for matchup No. 116 between the two rivals, Ohio State will undoubtedly be favored to win its ninth straight in The Game. The Buckeyes opened the week as a massive 30-point favorite over the Wolverines on Sunday afternoon, according to the folks at Circa Sports.
Ohio State is gunning for a College Football Playoff berth and needs a win — and maybe some style points. Michigan could certainly use a win to spoil the Buckeyes season and gain some valuable momentum heading into what could be a turbulent offseason, especially if coach Jim Harbaugh falls to 0-6 against the Buckeyes.
It’s the week of The Game, and there is no shortage of storylines.
Ohio State gambling trends
- Ohio State is 3-2 against the spread this season, covering the massive spread in the opener against Nebraska and then a week later at Penn State. The Buckeyes failed to cover the spread in sloppy wins over Rutgers and Indiana before easily covering against Michigan State.
- Michigan is 1-5 against the spread this season. The lone in game in which the Wolverines covered came in the season-opening win over Minnesota.
- The Buckeyes are 3-2 against the spread in their last five games against Michigan.
- Ohio State is 6-4 in its last 10 games against the spread as a home favorite.
- Michigan is 2-10 straight up in its last 12 games against top-10 teams.
- Four of Michigan’s six games this season have gone over the total. Three of Ohio State’s five games this season have gone over the total.