COLUMBUS — Nick Bosa had already been ruled out of a home game for Ohio State’s against Tulane on Saturday.
But it appears the junior will be out even longer for the Buckeyes.
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer updated the status of his All-American defensive end on Thursday, and he’s now out indefinitely following a surgical procedure. Bosa, who leads the Big Ten with four sacks through the season’s first three games, doesn’t yet have a timetable for a return.
Bosa suffered what was described as an “lower abdomen and groin” injury in the third quarter against TCU and did not return to the lineup during the game. In his absence, the Ohio State defensive line, led by redshirt junior Dre’Mont Jones, stepped up and led the Buckeyes to a 40-28 win over the Horned Frogs.
“Some more guys have to step up,” Jones said on Tuesday night at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. “We all still have to play.”
Davon Hamilton, who scored the first of Ohio State’s two defensive touchdowns versus TCU, echoed that sentiment.
“We’d love to have Nick, obviously, because he really is that good. But, I mean, reality is we’ve got to step up,” Hamilton said. “We can’t be down because somebody else is down. As good as he is, we’ve really got to keep on picking it up.”
They’ll be forced to pick it up for Bosa, and nobody knows exactly for how long. That means Ohio State will be forced to adjust without its best player when it heads to Penn State next week in a game that many people believe could put the winner in the driver’s seat of the Big Ten’s Eastern Division.
Lettermen Row will have more on the latest developments in the Nick Bosa injury situation as Ohio State updates them. For now, though, the Buckeyes will be forced to deal without their defensive leader during a key stretch.