Stay in touch or be left out because Ohio State recruiting is a 24-hour, seven-day-per-week obsession. What’s the latest news as the Buckeyes build for the future? Get that and more Sunday through Thursday on Lettermen Row. Today’s update touches on important news for the Buckeyes and commitment Doug Nester.
Doug Nester will not visit Georgia, will visit Ohio State again
The saga of Ohio State commit Doug Nester has taken another turn — and this time it’s positive for the program.
Nester, who had planned to take official visits to Georgia, Penn State and Virginia Tech before the second signing period in February, has canceled his planned trip to Georgia.
“He told the Georgia staff he was canceling,” a source close to the Bulldogs shared. “Athens is too far away. The All-American travels and all that allowed him and his family to see that first hand. He wants to play closer to home.”
That mirrors pretty closely what sources have told Lettermen Row about Nester’s recruitment for the last month, suggesting that Georgia was never truly a threat to overtake the Buckeyes. However, Penn State and Virginia Tech remain in the mix and are in line to get official visits from the 6-foot-6, 310-pound offensive lineman on the weekends of Jan. 25 and Feb. 2, respectively.
But the biggest news is that Nester will take a second official visit to Ohio State before any of that happens. The Big Ten approved for Nester to take another official visit, giving the long-time verbal a chance to see up close and personal what Ryan Day is doing with the Buckeyes. That trip will occur the weekend of Jan. 18, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Harry Miller will head north to visit Ohio State that weekend or that Cade Stover will also be in town for the Buckeyes.
Those two signees are closer to Nester than anyone else in the class of 2019, and the Buckeyes are hoping to get Nester back in the mix and maybe change his mind about any other visits.